The Packetmaster EX5-2 is a network packet broker designed for handling copper interfaces from 10 Mbit to Gigabit. The Packetmaster filters and load balances traffic from 10 Gbps link to multiple 1 Gbps monitoring tools. It can aggregate multiple 1-Gbps links to 10 Gbps monitoring tools. The product has a non-blocking design and offers top performance. The native copper interface of the EX5-2 has an advantage because the product does not require copper SFP. This reduces the price of the product and also makes it more technically advanced.
Functions / Benefits:
- Lifetime of rules: Rules can be set with a live time counter. If the counter becomes 0, the rule will be removed automatically.
- Generate sFLOWS CDRS: The EX5-2 can send standard nFlow or sFlow CDRS to collector devices to monitor the traffic processed by the EX5-2. The device can produce graphs and SNMP traps for northbound signalization.
- GRE Tunnel support: The device can work as end device for a GRE tunnel, for backhauling applications.
- AAA Radius support: User identification
- Stacking of units: One Packetmaster can control several other Packetmasters. This gives the possibility to extend the number of ports per unit.
Success story: STP monitoring in a fixed net operator in Europe
Challenge faced by the operator - The operator had a lot of 100 Mbit interfaces and limited budget for monitoring. There were more than 60 100 Mbit links which needed to be tapped and aggregated to one 10 Gbit output for monitoring.
Cubro Solution - Cubro provided the operator 3 x EX5-2 and 3 Cubro Flex TAPs chassis for handling the live links. The live links are also managed with the Cubro Flex TAPs. The TAPs are connected to EX5-2 with two ports per link (one for east and one for west). The interconnection within the EX5-2 is done via 10 Gbit optical interface. At the end, the total aggregated output is sent to the probe to monitor this STP traffic.
!Note: The power footprint is important for devices that run 24/7